EISYS, Inc., administrator of DLsite English (hereinafter referred to as "DLsite" or the "Site"), respects the privacy of visitors to its website and customers of products and services available there. DLsite is also in compliance with the European Union's General Data Protection Regulation (hereinafter referred to as "GDPR"). DLsite discloses its privacy practices by providing detailed explanation on how personal information is received, collected and used.
DLsite is a website that offers "indie / doujin" products on the Internet. We may collect personal information from you when you use our service, create a member account, or purchase products on the Site.
We process the following types of personal data about you that are necessary for offering the service of the Site and the information related to the service:
i) your name, email address, telephone number, address, other contact details;
ii) your birthday;
iii) details of your preferences and settings on the Site; and
iv) your messages, feedback or contributions to the Site.
We adopt the policy of not collecting unnecessary information or conducting questionnaires not related to the use of the Site.
Your personal information is used exclusively for offering the service of the Site and the information related to the service. Also, when collecting sensitive information such as your credit card number, we protect the information by means of encryption and such. The Site is authenticated as a secure website by Global Sign K.K., and uses SSL (Secure Socket Layers) encryption for the personal information that you send.
When you use the content delivery service that we offer on the Site (hereinafter referred to as "the Service"), you are required to provide your personal information, such as: your name, email address, telephone number and birthday. We handle the information in the following manner.
1. General Info
Controller according to Art. 4 para. 7 of the GDPR is EISYS, Inc.,
300-12F, Kandaneribeicho, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, 101-0022 Japan;
[ Contact Us ].
If you are under 16 years of age, please obtain permission of a parent/legal guardian prior to making personal data available to us.
2. Legal basis of processing
We process your personal data on the basis of Art. 6 para. 1 letter f GDPR. Your personal data are processed so that we can make our internet presence available to you and inform you about the Service and our company.
With our internet presence, we have a legitimate interest in making available an information and communications platform for all visitors to the Site.
3. How We Use Personal Data
We will process your personal data for the following purposes:
- To provide the Service to you
- To process payments
- To store your purchase history to improve convenience when you use the Service
- To inform you of important announcements related to the Service
- To send you e-mails directly to provide information related to the Service
- To collect anonymous statistics
- To respond to your messages or posts to us;
- To manage, develop and improve the Site, the Service and our other services, information technology systems and websites;
- for research and marketing purposes;
- for monitoring and assessing compliance with law and our policies and standards;
- to comply with our legal and regulatory obligations and requests anywhere in the world, including reporting to and/or being audited by national and international regulatory bodies;
- for fraud and crime prevention and detection purposes;
- for administrative purposes in relation to the security of and access to our systems, premises, platforms, websites and applications;
- to comply with court orders and exercise and/or defend our legal rights;
- for any other legitimate business purpose; and
- as otherwise permitted or required by any applicable law or regulation
4. Disclosure of Personal Information to Third Parties
Any personal information recorded and stored by us when using the Service will not be disclosed or offered to third parties except in the event that it falls under any of the following items:
- When you have given prior consent to the disclosure;
- When the Site subcontracts operations that concern the administration and the management of the Service;
- When personal information such as your name, credit card number, etc., is transmitted to financial institutions such as when required to process payments;
- When our business is succeeded to another entity by way of a merger, corporate separation, sale of business or otherwise;
- When disclosure is urgently required for the protection of human life or human rights;
- When cooperating with public institutions such as police and judicial institutions;
- When we are required to disclose information by laws and regulations.
5. Handling of Personal Information
- We manage personal information recorded and stored in a proper manner when you use the Service to prevent incidents such as loss, theft, interpolation and divulgation. We comply with the regulations and acts related to personal information protection applicable to the protection of personal information.
- We may delete your personal information without prior notice or your consent when we judge that it is necessary to do so for the administration and the management of the Service, such as in the case of violation of User Agreement of the Service, hindrance to the Service, etc. Please take note.
6. Confirmation, Modification and Suspension of Member Account Information
Your personal data registered upon creation of the member account may be confirmed, modified, and deleted through use of the functions of the Service that you can access by entering your unique authentication information.
7. Facultative Offer of Personal Data and its Effects
Whether you provide your personal data to us or not is optional. However, if you do not provide your personal information, the following events may occur.
- You may not be able to use a part of the Service such as creating an account or purchase of a product of available through the Service.
- We may be unable to process or answer an inquiry you submit.
- When your personal data is not updated and older data is stored, we may submit partial personal data such as your name (not including sensitive information such as credit card number) to another person who is not supposed to receive it.
8. Data Storage and Processing Location
Your personal data is stored and processed on a server located in Japan.
9. Storage Period
The data will be stored for as long as the user is a registered member. When an account is deleted, all data regarding the user will be deleted (with the following exceptions).
- Information required to identify illegal activity
DLsite collects data which is necessary to discover, investigate and prevent acts of dishonesty, injustice and the breaking of applicable laws (hereinafter referred to as "illegal acts"). In this case, the data will be used only for the purpose of discovering, investigating and preventing such illegal acts. The data will be stored for the shortest amount of time required to deal with relevant illegal acts. If an illegal act is proven from the data, it will be stored as legal evidence for a period in accordance with the applicable law or until any proceeding lawsuit is resolved.
NOTE: When data is being stored for this reason, it may not be disclosed to the customer if such a disclosure could put at risk the integrity of the evidence.
10. Account Deletion Method
[In accordance with the right to be forgotten; All registered members can delete their account at any time via "My Page" > "Account Information" > "Cancel My Account". It is also possible to delete an account by contacting customer support from the email address registered to that account and expressing your intention to delete the account. However, once an account has been deleted, all purchase history associated with that account will be lost and it will no longer be possible to re-download any previously purchased products.]
In accordance with the regulations of the GDPR, you may assert the following rights against us:
Right of access
Right to rectification
Right to restriction of processing
Right to erasure / right to be forgotten
Right to data portability
Right to object
If processing your personal data is based on your consent, you have the right to revoke your consent at any time, effective for the future. This shall have no effect on the lawfulness of the processing based on the consent before its withdrawal.
To assert one of your above mentioned rights, you may contact us at any time using the details set out below.
[- Access Rights
Customers have the right to access their personal information held by DLsite.
The following things can be requested by a customer free of charge:
(1) Information on whether or not their personal information is being stored.
(2) Access to their personal information that is being stored.
(3) A copy of their personal information that is being stored.
When the above request effects the rights and freedom of another individual, is groundless, or is alternatively excessive in nature, EISYS, Inc. reserves the right to charge an appropriate fee (taking into regard the cost of managing the provision and transfer of the information in question).
When the following information is requested, DLsite will provide it as exported text information.
- Reviews posted by the user
- Purchase history
- Login history
- Product rating data]
[- Right to Amend
When personal information is found to be incorrect or incomplete, a registered member can change/amend such information at any time via "My Page".
- Right to Delete
Customers of DLsite reserve the right to request deletion of their registered member account and personal information.
When a registered member account is deleted, all purchase history associated with that account and the right to access associated services will be lost.
Once an account has been deleted, DLsite cannot reverse the process.
There are situations where the deletion of a registered user account and / or personal information may be difficult. (e.g. when payments are overdue). When the cause of the difficulty is resolved, the deletion process will be carried out. Depending on the number of requests and how complicated they are, it may take considerable time until deletion is complete.]
DLsite uses Google Analytics, a web analytics service offered by Google LLC. Google Analytics uses the "Cookies" (text files saved on computers) of visitors to webpages to analyze their behavior and support website administrators. All information generated via Cookies regarding the access of websites by visitors, is generally stored on Google's servers in The United States of America.
Also, the collection of information (including IP addresses) via Cookies regarding website use and data processing by Google LLC can be blocked by downloading and installing the following browser plugin.
[ http://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout?hl=en ]
Content Recommendation Features
DLsite customizes the displayed contents, products, services and messages on its website in line with the needs of customers. In order to display relevant recommendations and suggestions, DLsite will process data in accordance with item 1. Use of Personal Information. The purpose of this is to improve the customer experience of visitors to DLsite.
Also, DLsite may send email messages regarding products and services of the Site to the customer. In such cases, the messages sent will also be customized based on the information gathered from customers. DLsite will collect information regarding whether these messages were opened or not and which links in the text were clicked.
You can opt out from receiving such marketing mail by withdrawing your permission at any time. This can be done on the same page that registering for marketing mail was performed or by clicking the "Unsubscribe from DLsite Mailer" link provided in such emails.
11. About Payment
- The settlement of charges for the products/services you have ordered are processed and archived by the following payment agencies:
ECONTEXT, INC.: All payments, including credit card, that are marked as "external checkout" are handled via this company.
- This Service and any commissioned payment agencies will use and, if necessary, record / store your personal information as required to process payments related to this Service. The use of such personal information is strictly limited to the settlement of charges for this Service and will not be used for any other purpose.
For more details about the privacy policies of our payment agencies, please refer to their respective websites as provided below.
[ ECONTEXT, INC. : Personal Information Protection Policy (in Japanese) ]
12. Inquiries Related to Handling of Personal Information
We respond in good faith to complaints or consultation regarding the handling of personal data that we have obtained, including personal requests pertaining to disclosure, correction and deletion of the information.
13. Contact Information
If you have any queries about the contents of this Policy or your personal data, or wish to make a request in relation to your personal data, please contact us using the details set out below:
EISYS, Inc. / DLsite
300-12F, Kandaneribeicho, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, 101-0022 Japan
[ Contact Us ]
Hours of operation: 10:00 am to 6:00 pm on weekdays Japan Time (GMT +9) (closed on Saturdays, Sundays, and our national holidays)
14. How to lodge a complaint to the regulator
You are entitled to lodge a complaint with our data protection regulator if you consider that we have breached your data protection rights.
15. How we update or change this policy
We may change or update parts of this Policy in order to maintain our compliance with applicable laws and regulations or following an update to our internal practices. We will do this by updating this Policy at [insert website]. You will not necessarily be directly notified of such a change. Therefore, please ensure that you regularly check this Policy so you are fully aware of any changes or updates.
Cookies are a feature of the Site intended to improve your convenience when you revisit the Site. They do not infringe on your privacy nor do they have any harmful impact on your computer.
The Site may collect data from the visitors to the Site such as general tendencies and patterns of viewer activity from the information contained in the cookies. We may use and study the collected data to offer better service.
If you do not wish to have your information collected, you may block cookies by changing the settings on your browser. However, in order to use certain features of the Site, you need to accept cookies from the Site.
Limitation of Guarantee and Liability
You take full responsibility for your use of the Site.
The Site is not liable in any way for any damage incurred from the use of the information obtained from the Site or from a site linked to the Site.
The Site is accessible from countries all over the world with differing laws and regulations; however, by using the Site, it is deemed that both you and the Site have agreed to be bound by the laws and regulations in force in Japan or in Tokyo.
Furthermore, the Site does not describe or display that accessing the Site is legitimate or appropriate in your environment. Your access to the Site from your country or area is of your own free will and accord, and you are fully responsible for your use of the Site.